When you sign up, you can:
- Save your favorite machines
- Rate machines
- Upvote helpful comments
The JET JWJ-8CS is the largest jointer made by JET. This is the standard version, with straight knives. There is also another model with a helical cutterhead. Unlike the 6-inch model, the JWJ-8CS lacks quick-set knives and just has 3 standard blades.
The main selling points of this jointer are its long cast-iron tables, rigid fence, and easy-to-use handwheels for lowering the in- and outfeed tables. The fence has three positive stops at -45, 90 and 45 degrees.
It is more powerful than JET’s 6-inch jointers (2 HP vs 1 HP), and has more jointing capacity (8 inches), making it a very useful upgrade over the smaller models. Still, 8 inches is on the small side when face-jointing boards.
The jointer uses a classic wedge-bed dovetail system over which the tables slide up and down. The chrome handwheels make it a lot smoother to move the tables than on many comparable machines. It also has a special rabbeting ledge.
- No quick-set or helical blades
- 8 inches is still limited when face jointing boards
- Very long cast-iron tables
- More capacity than the 6-inch jointers
- Reasonably powerful (2HP)
- Handwheels to smoothly lower and raise the tables